San Francisco Maritime National Park Association is currently accepting applications for interns for the Spring/Summer, Summer, and Summer/Fall seasons.
San Francisco Maritime National Park Association
Our sprawling campus on the San Francisco waterfront offers diverse learning and skill development experiences, including:
Take note: this isn't an internship where you'll be making the coffee - any more than anyone else in the office, that is. And we rarely use the photocopy machine. Interns will be core team members from day one, and hit the ground running with high expectations and significant responsibilities, but plenty of support, guidance and encouragement from the Maritime Park community you will be joining!
- working with youth from a broad spectrum of backgrounds
- assisting with outdoor educational instruction
- supporting marketing and outreach projects
- working in a maritime store
- assisting with the operations of a WWII Submarine
- supporting non-profit executive leadership,
- contributing to program development activities
- community relations and partnership engagement
- creating and maintaining a web and social media presence
- helping with donor and membership cultivation
- small boat handling and maintenance
- events planning and execution
- National Park operations and initiatives
- ...and a host of other dynamic learning and doing opportunities
Ideal candidates will demonstrate all or most of the following:
We are seeking college-age interns or graduates who are interested in advancing their careers through developing new skills and relationships within the non-profit, youth-serving, parks and maritime community. While this internship is unpaid, it is rich in opportunity for future employment with our organization as it grows and expands! We are also happy to help you design an internship with us that satisfies credit requirements for your college or university.
- Awareness of SFMNPA's mission and commitment to mission stewardship
- Ability to represent our organization knowledgeably, enthusiastically and with professional polish
- Outdoor recreation, education and leadership experience and skills
- Small boat handling comfort, experience and skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft office,
- Familiarity with social media platforms,
- Excellent communications skills and diplomatic instincts
- Pleasant speaking voice and phone manner
- Willingness to learn new skills (including those of the roll-up-your-sleeves, bootstrap and hands-on variety)
- Helpful and collaborative nature
- Strategic thinker
- Outgoing, friendly and upbeat personality
- Team-player attitude
- Strong sense of initiative
- Sense of humor
- Willingness to get a little wet or messy from time to time
- Enjoys working with a diverse spectrum of community and professional stakeholders
- Not prone to sea-sickness
This job will have you performing diverse duties in even more diverse conditions, which may include: National and State Parks, on a working waterfront, inside cramped offices, dimly lit submarines, yacht club meeting rooms, overstuffed filing cabinets or rainy poopdecks (among a strikingly high ratio of mustachioed gentlemen and seaworthy ladies), sailing the Bay, attending fabulous cocktail events, and enjoying a brand of camaraderie only found among sailors and those who aspire to be!
Due to the fact that you may be working with Bay Area youth, and for a National Park partner, background checks will be required. Please send resume (two page max), three references, schedule of availability and a cover letter(one page) that explains why you would be a strong candidate for interning with the San Francisco Maritime National Park Association. Applicants of diverse backgrounds and abilities strongly encouraged to apply. We recommend checking out our website at https://maritime.org to learn more about our organization and explore what you might be able to bring to and learn from an internship experience with us! NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!!
Please only send resumes for listed job openings. If you wish to apply for a listed opening or would like additional information about a listed position, please send a resume/cover letter to email form, or fax (415)561-6660.