Department: USS Pampanito
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Lead Deckhand
Deckhands undertake a wide range of preservation work on the World War II submarine USS Pampanito and the workshop and offices of Pier 45. This includes but not limited to; inspections, communications, supply management, seamanship, repairs, maintenance, hospitality and customer service. Deckhands work in all types of weather conditions and support a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week watch operation. Responsible for ensuring that the USS Pampanito is safe for visitors, employees, and that all tasks contribute to keeping the historic artifact USS Pampanito museum-quality for daily visitors.
Deckhands may perform the following tasks:
- Relieve Deckhand on-duty and read/complete a logbook report during each shift.
- Inspection of mooring lines, fire extinguishers, watertight doors, artifact protection, operational equipment, etc.
- Responsible that all walkways onboard the vessel are safe for the public by securing rubber matting on the deck, inspecting lifelines and life rings.
- Inspection of off-limit areas and locked-out equipment to ensure they are secured and preserved.
- Responsible for management of equipment, tools, industrial supplies and artifacts onboard the USS Pampanito and the Pier 45 workshop.
- Support ticket booth operations by opening and closing Pier 45 to the public.
- Assist our Volunteer & Docent crew with any projects required and their daily log.
- Assist in setting up, supporting and breaking down equipment for special events.
- Wash the topside deck of the USS Pampanito and any weather-exposed artifacts.
- Clean pier exhibits, workshop, office spaces, storage bay and heads.
- Any other duties as assigned by Ship Managers, Assistant Ship’s Manager or Lead Deckhand.
- High School Diploma.
- Fluent in English.
- Physically fit and mentally clear.
- Good sense of balance.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- A mindset for learning.
- Ability to work in varying climate conditions.
- Ability to work various hours.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to work in tight spaces and confined quarters.
- Ability to climb ladders.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com