Assistant Ship’s Manager
DEPARTMENT: USS Pampanito
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SUMMARY: Reports directly to the USS Pampanito Managing Director. Responsible for the daily operation, maintenance, and interpretation of the USS Pampanito as a museum and memorial to the Submarine Service of the US Navy.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Monitors daily operation, (to include admissions, maintenance, and volunteers), of the USS Pampanito as a museum and memorial open to the general public and educational groups;
- Direct supervision and coordination of USS Pampanito Deckhands and Volunteers;
- Plans, schedules and assigns work of Deckhands, monitors these activities, trains employees in proper procedures;
- Recommends personnel actions, pending approval of Managing Director and Human Resources Manager.
- Develops and manages Volunteer Program.
- Serve as a representative of the Maritime Park Association: providing interpretation of the vessel, general visitor information about Fisherman’s Wharf, assisting with public/private events, provide assistance to visitors boarding the vessel and visitors participating in the Overnight Education Program.
- Prepares reports to Managing Director concerning work plan results.
- Orders and purchases supplies of equipment and materials for maintenance of vessel and work place.
- Serves as USS Pampanito representative with outside contractors and vendors on daily maintenance projects;
- Provides assistance during vessel dry docking;
- Ensures that all industrial and health safety requirements are met aboard the vessel and in the work place. Chairs Pampanito Safety Committee;
- Assists with special projects and events relating to the USS Pampanito;
- Other duties as requested by the Managing Director.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university, or equivalent experience.
- Preferred area of study: engineering, museum studies, naval and/or maritime history.
- Two to three years of experience with the operation of historic naval ships preferred, but not necessary.
- Qualified welder/machining background.
- Experience with tools.
- Must have reliable vehicle.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be met to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb, bend, reach and use hands and fingers, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
50% office environment/50% outdoor environment. May be required to travel. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate – very loud.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
Please send resume and cover letter to Darlene Plumtree at email@example.com